January 19, 2012

2012: A New Hope (For Direction)

Starting a blog must be a common New Year's resolution. Granted, I haven't heard it used, nor is it among the "lose weight", "get rich" variety. But if a resolution is an attempt to strengthen an aspect of your life, blogging makes sense for a writer attempting to strengthen or even showcase their skills.

So yeah, that's one reason I'm doing this. I often feel compelled to offer a viewpoint on certain topics, and want a platform to discuss the next ______ [Bin Laden killed/Occupy Wall St./Tim Tebow], sports, film, and (seldom) political insights, and just general random musings. I also want to do this to track a time in my life that has a number of possibilities and changes(hopefully)

The number one thing that needs to change in my life is my 9 - 5. I tell people I hate my job, but generally that's to avoid talking about it. It's a well-paid position that's given me new skills and opportunities out of college, and, yes, I am lucky be employed. But both the environment and job are dull and uncreative, and being here four years (and realizing that fact) has affected my general inspiration. It's time to go.

But where? Maybe I'll move to LA to work for a production company. Maybe I'll take the Michael Arndt route, stay in Brooklyn, and live off my savings to write and market screenplays. There are downsides to both, sure, but each is a step towards achieving my ultimate goals.

The year itself is as open as my next move. I am submitting Katie55 (a feature film I produced in '11) to festivals. The LA question - job aside - burns stronger than it did when I came out of NYU. I hope to write a new screenplay, but I currently lack a firm idea. Should I go to grad school (if so, to study what?)?

These questions will turn into goals this year. It's difficult to be dissuaded when I have direction, and it will be interesting to see where I go. 


And it's fair to say this blog mimics my life. And until we both find direction... here's the all-too-common sports/politics/film blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment